CREP facts and figures

Eligible land:  Land along water that are tributaries of or potential spawning areas for salmon and steelhead stocks plus one of the following:

  • Cropland that is planted to annual crops.
  • Pasture land.
  • Marginal pasture.

Contract length:  Land can be enrolled for 10-15 years.

Riparian buffer width:

  • Hedgerow Buffers 15′,  Forest Riparian Buffers 35′ minimum to maximum of 180′  for streams => 15′ Bank full width.
  • Local Conservation Districts and Farm Service Agency will work with you to determine buffer width.
  • Riparian buffer width is flexible and may move toward or away from the stream at different locations to meet a landowner’s needs – as long as the average meets the minimum requirements for your stream.

Cost-sharing for developing riparian buffer:  Cost for developing riparian buffer (installing fences and animal watering stations, planting trees, etc.) will be paid by:

  • U.S. Department of Agriculture – 90%
  • Washington State Conservation Commission- 10%

Annual Payments (rent):

  • Annual payments amount to 150% of the Farm Service Agency soil rental rates per acre. (Roughly $300/ acre of buffer area enrolled)
  • Lands protected under the State’s Growth Management Act will receive an extra 10% per acre.

Endangered Species Act (ESA) connection:

  • Riparian buffers are designed to meet the technical requirements of ESA.
  • Landowners will begin to address the ESA listing of salmon by further protecting and enhancing stream banks.
  • This program is another step in the right direction for good land stewards.