Adaptive Beaver Management

Adaptive Beaver ManagementPlan

Living with Beaver Slides

Trapping Rules and Regulations

Furbearer Classified Species: Trapping Season from Nov.1 –Mar. 31

• Special permits through WDFW are required for the use of body gripping traps (i.e padded and unpadded foot-hold traps, conibear type traps, and all snares. 

• The owner, the owner’s immediate family, an employee, or a tenant of property may shoot or trap a beaver on that property if a threat to crops exists (RCW 77.36.030). In such cases, no special trapping permit is necessary for the use of live traps. However, a special trapping permit is required for the use of all traps other than live traps (RCW 77.15.192, 77.15.194; WAC 232-12-142).

• It is currently unlawful to release beaver anywhere in the state, other then the property it was trapped on, without a special permit to do so. 

 JCCD has acquired a Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) Permit through Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife that permits landowners along Chimacum Creek to lower dams and/or install flow-through devices or culvert protection  where applicable.

Contact JCCD for more information: 360.385.4105

Online Resources

Beavers Northwest:
Beaver Solutions:
Beavers: Wetlands and Wildlife:
WDFW: Living with Beaver: